Thursday, December 24, 2009

Great Grandmas

Warning: The following blog was emotionally induced after watching "Kendra: Here Comes Baby" on E!

Great grandmas really are the perfect gems. I think back to my great grandma, Noodle Grandma, and I think about how lucky I am to have such fond memories of her. I've mentioned her in previous blogs, mostly about her noodle-making talent, which I've tried (and failed) to replicate. My Noodle Grandma used to knit slippers, which were great entertainment on hardwood floors...I mean, who doesn't LOVE to ice skate in the kitchen? My brother and I would "skate" for hours, oftentimes falling on our butts, but enjoying every single second of it. There was something special to her slippers- they were double stitched on the bottom-- some said it was to insure toes from poking out...Adam and I are still pretty sure she double stitched for skating purposes! I remember playing Chinese Marbles at her house-- even though I had NO idea how to do it. I remember the cookie tin, which Adam has since inherited, full of oatmeal cookies. Noodle Grandma had a collection of salt and pepper shakers, which were on full display at her viewing so that family members could each take his/her favorite set in remembrance of her.

I can't help but think of my kids' great grandma, my dear Grandma Anglin. I've mentioned her in many previous blogs, but of course the holiday season just makes me think of her even more. My kids were so lucky to have her, even for just the short time that they had with her. I am hopeful that Lilly will always have memories of her, and I'm sad that Anderson probably will not remember anything of her other than what we tell of her. Like I said, this is all surfacing after watching a pathetic reality show (which I happen to secretly love) on E! Kendra was having her first baby and her grandma, whom hates to fly, flew out to be there for the birth. Seeing Kendra's grandma holding her first great grandbaby made me think of the love my grandma had for Lilly and Anderson. There TRULY was a sparkle in Grandma's eyes when she was around Lilly. She loved that little girl more than anything in the world. And the feeling was mutual. Lilly just loved her Gigi. She wanted Gigi toast, she wanted to play dolls with Gigi, and she just loved leaning against her Gigi. And even though Lilly has never said so, I bet Lilly thought in her head about the day she would grow to be as tall as Gigi (just like we all at one time dreamed about doing)!!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we'll never forget Grandma. And even though Lilly might not have tons of memories of her, I know she'll always be a part of Lilly and Anderson's lives because we will see to it that they know of her.
It's hard to believe that this is our second Christmas without Grandma. It's never gotten easier, but knowing that she is exactly where she should be helps to alleviate some of the pain.

Merry Christmas to the world's best great grandmas! Without people like you the world just wouldn't be complete. I love you both tremendously and you'll forever live on in our hearts.

No comments: