Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Keep Your Own Shit and Eat Worms


We've all heard the saying "the grass ain't always greener on the other side." After talking to my dear friend today, I got some closure on things that have been stirring up my emotions and confusing the crud out of my mind.
Me: I just feel like there's something MORE out there.
Megan: Everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side.
Me: Exactly.
Megan: But then you get there and find that the grass is just as brown..with poop in it...and worms!
Me: So what you're saying is I should stick with my own shit and worms?
Megan: Yep, that's what I'm saying!

After polling many of my close, married friends, I'm finding that I'm not alone in the "is this IT" feeling I've been having lately. I've polled newlyweds, engaged couples, and a couple who have been married for well over ten years...and they all say the same things...there are days we all feel like there has to be something more. There are days where the monotony overwhelms us and we want to break free, but...we try to look at the big picture and realize that there's NO ONE who could replace the loves of our lives!!!

I found out yesterday that I am interviewing with the head of financial aid at Ross. This would be a "promotion" for me and the possibility of personal growth in the company, which is what interested me so much at Ross to begin with. I LOVE the job that I do now. I LOVE that I interact with the students as much as I do. I LOVE seeing the students every morning and telling them goodbye at the end of everyday. I LOVE answering the phone with my postive enthusiasm everyday. I LOVE that I'm the "go-to" person. I love that I'm the person people look to for answers. I LOVE my job. I'm a little worried that I might be looking to the other side of the fence for "greener grass." The financial aid job requires that I work at least one night until 8. It will be MUCH more work than what I take on now. I just fear that I'm looking at the other side of the fence thinking that I need something more. The money will be nice....but will I truly be happy? Should I just stick with my own shit and eat worms?






3 comments:

adam said...

i saw GO FOR IT! you don't know what's waiting for you on the other side of the fence if you don't give it a chance! don't sit around and let the world pass you by!

adam said...

*say

Lil Kegger said...

I don't know I would argue that maybe it really is greener on the other side. We naturally strive for better all of the time and is that really so bad? If we just settle for what is on our side of the fence we may never taste the greener grass or I suppose in some cases shit. I would also argue that stepping in or eating that shit on the other side is what we call "life's lessons". There are many cases where I am or have been willing to jump the fence to at the very least taste what looks like greener grass with no regret. Just some thoughts.