Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Things I Am Not

1)I'm not evil. Or at least it's not my intention.

2)I'm not selfish, bitter, or jealous...of anyone.

3)I'm not ashamed of my job, my family, my house, or my "things"..because they are just that-- things.

4)I'm not your slave. So stop acting as though I am.

5)I'm not passive-aggressive. You will know when something you've said or done has upset me.

6)I'm not one to feel entitled to anything.

7)I'm not egotistical. I am grounded enough to see those around me.

8)I'm not superficial.

9)I'm not your doormat. Do not treat me as one.

10)I'm not weak. Your hatred and negativity will not bring me down.

I sit here and write all these things because today I let someone get the better part of my emotions-- something that doesn't happen that often. I let someone make me feel so degraded and lowly today. I let someone talk to me in a way that I never would typically let someone get away with. It was disgusting. I realized something though...the things this person said to make me feel as low as I did, actually helped me. At the end of the day, I still have my pride and my morals. I don't have that sense of entitlement that she does. I don't have to walk around with that enormous chip on my shoulder like she does. I can walk with a bounce to my step knowing that I am a GOOD person. I'm a DECENT person who treats people with respect and dignity. I am a nice, giving, prideful, independent, strong, respectable woman. And I can go to bed at night knowing that I haven't hurt anyone's feelings or caused anyone to question their role in this world. And that's a beautiful feeling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good for you Gretchen...all you have to do is "keep your side of the street clean"


Dad

Anonymous said...

good for you, my dear. Something is clicking in you... Mom

Bran ♥ said...

you're an inspiration :)

hope things are going well for you and that you guys all have a very merry christmas!