Sunday, December 6, 2009

Advent Conspiracy

">

My church is doing a series called the "advent conspiracy" in which they challenge us to think about our own spending this holiday season. What if we really did what this video suggests? We have been so concerned about spending the "right" amount on each person, that we forget to think about what's really important. Does your sister REALLY need that new iPod Nano? Does your husband REALLY need that 52" plasma TV? Do YOU really need to spend hundreds, if not thousands, on your children? What are we teaching our kids?
I'm really proud of my family this year. We've always done a gift exchange on my dad's side of the family, but this year after deciding that we don't really "need" anything, we've instead decided to adopt a local family who is struggling to afford a Christmas. The single mom has been out of work for over a year and has three little girls. The mom had to make the decision to pay for the electric bill rather than buying her little girls Christmas presents. I'm not sure the background information on the mom's situation. It seems hard to imagine not being able to find a job two years later, but...that's her situation and regardless of her story, she still has three little ladies who deserve to have a Christmas.
I picked up on a really neat message at church today because it has become highly applicable to a situation I'm going through at home. The message says "your plenty will supply their need...so that in turn, their plenty will supply what you need." Basically, I have enough. My kids have everything they NEED. Sure there might be things we WANT, but we have what we NEED. There are people in our community who can't say the same thing, and that's unfortunate. We've become used to our "American Entitlement" that suggests 'I work hard for my money therefore it belongs to ME ME ME.' It's terrible. What if we gave some of our "plenty" to those who truly have the need for it? When they thank God for the gifts we gave them, it will hopefully fill our hearts with what we needed. Our need isn't physical. It's not "things." Unfortunately for many of us, our "need" is more GOD in our life and in our heart. Maybe by helping someone else, it will fulfill our need.
I hope that this video makes you think a little about what would happen if we stopped spending so much on ourselves, and instead spent a little on those in need.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Gretchen...love you.

Dad