Thursday, December 3, 2009

Santa Who?




My kids don't seem to have the first clue who Santa is. Lilly is convinced that Santa couldn't possibly come down the chimney and out of the fireplace because "daddy said you can't open the fireplace!" Of course they recognize him, but they have no idea what he represents, or what Santa can do for them! This poses a problem for Aaron and me because we can't threaten that Santa is watching the temper tantrum that Anderson is throwing, or watching Lilly pinching her little brother's tiny arm. I heard my cousin mention that she tells her little girl that Santa knows if she's good or bad, which helps prompt her little lady to behave! I tried it with Lilly tonight. It went something like this:




me: Lilly, Santa doesn't like it when you tell mommy no.
Lilly: Yes he does.
me: Santa watches you and Bubbs to make sure you're using manners and being polite.
Lilly: I use manners. I said no pleeeeease.
me: That's not what I mean Lilly.
Lilly: Not what I mean Lilly pleeeeeease.
me: RUDE!
Lilly: Rude pleeeeeeeeeeeeease.
me: LILLY!!!!
Lilly: Lilly pleeeeeeeeeeeeease. (followed by hysterical laughing, by both of us!)

I am defeated!
A friend from work invited the kids to go see Santa this weekend at her church. I'm worried that the kids will flip out at the sight of a shapely man in a red suit! We'll see how it goes. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny...


dad

Kimm said...

I've never done "Santa". I've never told my kids there was a Santa Clause. One year when we hardly had any money I had been waiting in line at walmart trying to get out a lay-a-way (when they had lay-a-way), and I had been there for at least 3 or 4 hours (I'm not exaggerating). At that moment I thought "Santa my A$$"!! There is no WAY I'm going to push off my 50,000 trips to walmart and standing in line and dealing with NUTTY people, on Santa. When they asked who got them their gifts, I said your father worked very hard to make sure you and your brothers had gifts.
I've never used Santa as a behavior tool. I tell them to behave because I told them to. Do what I said because I said so.
I know you didn't ask all this, I'm just full of emotion because I got into it with this lady at the kids school (totally awesome story btw).
With all that said. I think it's funny what LJ said! LOL!