Friday, January 6, 2012

How Do I Manage?

I've been asked a lot about how I "manage" being a single, working mom. I always answer, "oh, I just MAKE it work." Well, today has been one of those days where I literally sit here wondering how I'm going to manage.

I. Am. Exhausted. I'm not tired from being overloaded at work, because Lord knows that's not it. And I'm not exhausted because of my kids, because they really are easy-going, good babies. I'm not exhausted because of my boyfriend, because he's amazing and makes things as easy as possible for me (love him!). But, when I look at things, as a whole, I get EXHAUSTED. 
Things are changing at work, where I'll have to start working two late nights a week. As it sits now, I work one "late" night (11:30-8pm). My parents have been AMAZING in helping me. They take turns driving an hour (each way), to make sure my kids are taken care of every Thursday night. They drive straight from work, pick up my kids from school, feed them dinner, get them ready for bed, and put them to bed EVERY SINGLE Thursday night. It makes it SO much easier on ME to know that my kids are happy and well taken care of while I'm working. I HATE being away from them at bedtime. It's aggravating to think that now I'm going to be working TWO nights a week and have to count on another person to put my kids to bed TWICE a week now. It doesn't just aggravate me, it makes me LIVID, to be quite honest. Since my parents are already doing one night, I have a neighbor friend who is willing to get them the other night, although of course it's going to cost me. So, on top of being away from my kids an additional night each week, I'm now going to be paying an extra $90 a month for someone else to put my kids to bed. 
It makes me SICK to think that I'll not see them for two nights. It makes me sad to think that I work for a company that's so family UNfriendly. I'm just not "that" parent who can be away from my kids that much EVERY SINGLE WEEK. I just don't have it in me. It's bad enough being away from them ONE night a week, but it makes it easier knowing they're with my mom or dad. 


I'm asking for some prayers for this situation. I am completely torn as to what I need to do. I know what's best for my family, but I also know that it's just ME financially supporting this family. I need to figure out how to "manage" this on my own. Thanks for your prayers in advance. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...first off...Thank you for your kind words...secondly...that is what family does..as far as having to pay, times are different...I can remember my mother helping her friends...because they were friends.
Just keep breaking the tasks down day by day...minute by minute if you have to...
pray for clarity and it will be there...Jeramiah 29:11...need I say more?