Tuesday, January 3, 2012

But Who Would Be Our Mom?

Morning drive conversation went like this today:

Lilly: Mom, we go to heaven when we die, right?
Me: Yeah, why?
Lilly: But if we go to heaven, we're there forever, right? We never come back down?
Me: That's right. (seriously confused where this conversation is coming from)
Lilly: But, if I am in heaven, who will stay with Anderson?
Me: Well...
Anderson: If you're going to heaven, I'm going with you!! (in an almost panicked voice)
Lilly: But then who will be with Mom?
Me: Well, hopefully I'll be in heaven before you are Lills.
Anderson: But if you're in heaven, who would be our Mom?
Lilly: NANA!
(*smile!*)
Anderson: Nana will be in heaven before Mom. Right Mom?
(I'm literally tearing up at this point. WHY are we talking about this?)
Me: Well...I mean, it's up to God when He lets people into heaven.
Lilly: He let Gigi in heaven, right mom?
Me: Yep!
Lilly: So when Nana gets to heaven she can be with Gigi again?
Me: Yep!
Anderson: I can't wait to get to heaven.
(*tears*)

So this conversation went on a couple more minutes, but here's what struck me...It's interesting how kids are SO open to talking about death. I STILL have chills from our early morning conversation, but it makes me happy to know that the kids know about heaven and death. It doesn't need to be such a taboo topic. It's part of life, afterall. When we first moved into our house, there was a spot along the final road leading to my addition where Anderson would roll down his window and say "Hi Gigi!"  It was no joke. It seemed like there was one spot where he would always "see" Gigi. It warmed my heart. It's interesting that anytime we talk about death, heaven, Gigi, God, etc...the conversation seems to also start at that same spot on our drive. Hmmm!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

..and people wonder if there is a God...or if we are watched over by our families...I have always felt that we are..I am glad that you are open to talking with this with the kids...important that they can embrace memories and be at peace with the possibilities...

:)