Tuesday, June 28, 2011

She really IS though...

During my morning read on Yahoo, I came across an interesting article. As parents, its our given right to believe that our children are brilliant,(even if they're not!)! You can read the entire article here, but here are points that stuck out to me!

Retains Information: The term "in one ear and out the other" seems to apply to most children. Those who are a cut above when it comes to intelligence actually retain a wide variety of information and are able to recall it at a later time.
Does retaining even not-so-valuable-info count? My precious five-year old is the master at holding onto things and bringing them up (using them against you, even) months later. Lilly can still recall times that her brother got to do something and she didn't. She remembers times when I wouldn't get her her "gladiola" sandals for her birthday that she was just dyyyyying to have. Who knew that all these memories were a sign of her retaining information and being on her way to baby genius status?

Wide Spectrum of Interests: Gifted kiddos display an interest in a wide variety of topics. They may like dinosaurs one month, space the next month, and so fourth.
While my darling daughter isn't a fan of aerodynamics or extinct animals, my doll baby does display an interest in a wide array of things...mostly fashion accessories. While one day she is obsessed with her thousands of multi-colored bracelets, the next day she is onto new flip flops, endless bathing suit options, and occasionally switches up her favorite Taylor Swift song for the week! Does this count?

Writes and Reads Early: If your tot is a smarty pants, she may be able to read and write very early on and without having had any real formal teaching.
On a more serious note, I do have to say that I am very impressed with Lilly's writing skills. After her 5th birthday party, she sat down at the table and had to write everyone a thank you card. Of course I had to help her with the spelling, but she wrote each and every note on her own. She loves to write-- maybe she'll be an author (ya know, if that fashion career falls through!)!

Is Musically or Artistically Talented: Children who display an unusual talent for music and/or art are often considered gifted. Tots who can draw things to perspective, have perfect pitch, or display any other higher perception of forms of art usually fall into the gifted category.
Lilly is a great little artist! I've never seen a five year old make such masterpieces with sidewalk chalk! She's seriously a great little artist..and I secretly love how skinny she makes me look in every portrait!!!

Has an Advanced Vocabulary: A tot who's early to speak is not a sign of giftedness alone, but if your lil talker is using advanced vocabulary and sentences, then he or she may be as bright as you think. According to the NAGC, "Children at age two make sentences like: 'There's a doggie.' A two-year-old who is gifted might say, 'There's a brown doggie in the backyard and he's sniffing our flower.' "
If either of my children used the word "doggie" after the age of one, I'd flick them! I've never been one to baby-talk with my kids, even when they were babies. I have always talked to them like people, maybe to a fault. Lilly has started (correctly) using the word "literally"....The other day she said "Are you seriously going to wear that? I can literally see your brawl right thought that shirt." Wow.


Okay okay, maybe my tot isn't a genius, but she is a smart little girl! She is hilarious (and knows it), and I just love her to pieces!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: