Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hero


Today was my kids' father's day lunch at school. As I wrote about a couple days ago, Aaron was obviously not able to attend, and the kids(especially Lilly)were devastated. I didn't make much of it to my family, as this is just one of those "things" that is to be expected from a split family, but I got a text yesterday from Gary telling me to ask the kids if they would want him to come down for their cookout. Instantly my eyes filled up with tears and I could barely contain my excitement. This was going to mean SO much to my kids.
This morning, I met Gary at the kids' school before I headed to work. I walked him to the kids' classrooms so he would know where to go. The second Lilly saw Uncle Gary her eyes got HUGE and she ran to him and jumped up on him! Her little cheeks were bright red! She was SO happy!!! We went to Anderson's classroom next and he walked to us, super excited as well!

I just got a text from Gary, saying they had a good time and that Lilly wanted to leave with him right now! I know Gary will never fully understand the extent of my gratitude for his kind act. I know that there will be many other "daddy events" that the kids will just have to do-without, but for today, their little hearts can be happy knowing Uncle Gary is here for them.

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Gretchen-

That is awesome!! I got tears in my eyes just reading your post.

What a special Uncle Gary they have~

g said...

The three of us had a great lunch and an even better evening. I'm so glad I was able to be there for them this time!

andrea said...

i bet they were so excited! uncle G is pretty great :)