Tuesday, August 28, 2012

That's One Way To Look At It

When I participated in the Family Program in MN when Aaron was in treatment, they gave us all a copy of a book called Courage to Change. It's an Al-Anon based book, basically a daily devotional for those of us dealing with the addict in our life. Well, even with "my" addict out of my life, I still occasionally refer to this book to get me through real life issues (read: insecurities)
This morning I read this: "We cannot know what the future will bring. Our best hope is every bit as likely to occur as our worst fear, so there's no reason to give more weight to the negative assumptions." How freeing to be able to expect the best as easily as we expect the worst? It's like the time someone asked me "what's your favorite thing about yourself?" I thought on this question for a long time. It was embarrassing. But the second I was asked "what's something you don't like about yourself?" my answer(s) came easily. Sadly, we are quick to overlook the good things about ourselves, and we focus so much time and energy on the bad things.
My personal assignment for myself today was to make a list of things that I like about myself. I'm telling you, this was hard to do people! Hard! Try it!I could think of a thousand things (especially physical attributes) that I loathe! When I was creating this list today I thought about my kids. What if, one day, they have trouble finding the good in themselves? I would HATE that for them. How do we change this?

1 comment:

Amanda: said...

I bet your list is awesome. I could tell you ten things that are great about you without having to think about it :)