Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Faith

I am what they call a worry wart. I worry about EVERY little detail of things. I worry that I'm not doing enough, I worry that I'm doing too much. I worry about sleeping babies. I worry about tooth fairies being properly assigned to the right child (inside story). I worry that it's going to be cold on a day I sent my kids to school in shorts. I worry about thunderstorms striking when I'm at work and the kids are at school. I worry about car accidents. I worry about cancer. I worry about scraped knees and elbows. I worry about belly aches. I worry about toddler arguments. I worry about not being enough. I worry about being overbearing. I worry about worrying too much. I worry about not being there for my kids. I worry about failing. I worry about not teaching my kids enough. I worry about not getting enough vegetables. I worry about not knowing the meaning of big words. I worry about not experiencing enough. I worry about missing out on clues. I worry about not being present enough.

If I've learned one thing lately it's that I spend too much time worrying and not enough time living. Life is too incredibly precious to spend it worrying about what might happen. Worrying is exactly the opposite of what I would hope for myself. Someone reminded me of this Bible verse and it really helped me focus less on what is not mine to control. "And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, He will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?" Matthew 6:30. I want to be the type of person who lives for the moment. I don't want to worry about the things I cannot control. I want to trust that He has my back, that I don't need to waste time worrying.

Here's to worrying less....

No comments: