Sunday, March 18, 2012

"I believe in God, Mom!"

Tonight our church put on an incredible celebration! Every summer we do a baptism in the pond in front of our church, but since so many people had been asking to do it other times than just the summer they decided to do one tonight inside the church. The "party" started at 6pm, and everyone was invited and encouraged to come, even if you weren't one who was going to be baptized. There would be tons of worship, lots of food, and so much to celebrate. Since the kids and I go to the one in the summer, or we have for the past two years, I figured we'd go tonight too!
It was more incredible than I could have imagined it to be!! There were tons of middle school and high school students there, as this was the time that they usually meet for F.U.E.L (their "youth group"). And I can't even begin to explain the high energy that the youth in our church give off! It's INCREDIBLE! There was MAD worshiping, people being baptized, and just people celebrating! It was awesome! When all of those who had signed up were finished being baptized one of our pastors asked if there were any other people, who had not already signed up, that wanted to be baptized. Everyone was pretty quiet...and then Anderson, sitting to my right, stood up on his chair and raised his hand. I told him to sit down, that he didn't understand what being baptized meant, and he said "I believe in God, Mom. I want to be baptized." No. Joke. I just smiled, and said "well then you can be baptized."....and so he was. Pastor Scott interrupted the worship band after a song and baptized my little Anderson. Four other middle school students followed after Anderson's lead and were also baptized.
I cannot explain how proud I am of Anderson. Sure, he doesn't understand fully what it means to be baptized. And even on the way home he asked more questions...and that's okay. I am proud of him for standing up (quite literally) and saying that he believes. If my kids can be half as excited about Christ as the youth in our church are, then I will be a happy mother.

I love my church. I love the people there. I love what it stands for. I love what I get from it. I love that I can be a part of something so incredible. I truly feel like it's not about just going through the motions at my church- it's about feeling something and doing something about it.

1 comment:

teresa-bug said...

Gretchen...this made me cry. God has great things in store for Anderson, I am sure of it.