Thursday, February 23, 2012

One in a Million

My mom is ah-may-ziiiiing! It's funny, I just wrote about how a little card in the mail could provide a quick pick-me-up, and there it was this morning in my mailbox-- a cute card from my mom! My family has always been one to send cards and letters. I think my grandma passed this on to all of us (God I miss her!), but my mom is one to know EXACTLY when we need it the most.

After I dropped off my kids at daycare this morning, I got a little emotional thinking about how lucky I am to be a mom. (This was before I saw the card in the mail from my mom!) Sure there are TOUGH days, but in the grand scheme of things, I would be lost if it wasn't for my role as a mother. And I couldn't help but acknowledge that the reason I am the parent I am, is because of my mom. She made it look so simple. I have no doubt that being a single parent was hard on my mom at times. I have no doubt that she made huge sacrifices for us. But my mom never let us know that. My brother, sister, and I never knew how hard things were for my mom, or how tired she was, or how stressed she was. We had no clue that she was giving up so much to be able to take care of the three of us. I hope that my kids look back and feel the same way.

I wish that I hadn't waited so long in my life to be such good friends with my mom. I wish I hadn't waited until I was on my way to being a mother, to actually LISTEN to my mom. I wish that I would have taken her advice ten years prior to when I actually did. I'm SO very grateful to have the relationship that I do with my mom today. Without her, I'd be lost. Lately, I've been mad at people for telling me to "stay strong" or complimenting me on being so "independent"...I kept saying that I don't WANT to be strong or independent, that I just want my boyfriend back (furril!), but I know that's not an option. I know that her strength and independence are two of the best traits my mom has, and if I can be half the mother she is, I'll follow whatever traits I need to follow.

1 comment:

Mom said...

You made me cry... I am so proud to be your mom and am so glad that we are best friends. You are a strong, independent person, you just don't know how much yet. And yes, your children will one day appreciate all that you did and do for them. I know... Love you so much and so proud to say you are my daughter.