Friday, September 2, 2011

RUT-ROW!

I have bad children. Well, I wouldn't say they're BAD children, they just have bad behaviors. And their terrible behavior has extended beyond the cozy walls of our own home. While the nightly battles at bedtime are to be somewhat (I said SOMEWHAT) expected of easily excitable youngsters, I would say my children's rule-following reluctance, especially at bedtime, is beyond the level of acceptability. Yes, this is partially mostly my own fault, as my follow-through at the end of the day is lacking. This is definitely something I am continuously working on, and I know that NOT following through on things is only hurting my precious babies. This whole ordeal started Monday, when I got a little note from Anderson's teachers saying that he had to be reminded multiple times to make good decisions. I talked to my handsome son about this at dinner that night, and together we came up with ways to make better decisions at school. The next day, his teacher said he did much better (still not great?). Then Wednesday at work, I got an email from Lilly's teacher. Apparently Lilly was having trouble following rules during circle time. Her teacher asked me to please review the terms "active listening" and "personal best" with Lilly that evening. Convinced that I was probably going to have to pull both children from school and be forced to home-school them, I turned to my brother! HELP! As a former elementary teacher,and a rules and manners nazi, I knew he could help me guide my troubled-tots back on the right path. With his support and encouragement, I took these issues by the horns, and I have hope that my kids will turn out to be quality, prosperous members of society! I know these things happen. And I know that all kids go through behavior issues in times of transitions. I also know that it's my job to make sure that these things don't go unnoticed or unaddressed. I am committed to working through these things with my babies.

1 comment:

andrea said...

don't feel bad. i used to get in trouble in kindergarten for putting my tub of school supplies in the wrong spot on the shelf (they were assigned). the teacher couldn't figure out why i insisted on putting it back on the shelf in someone else's spot, especially given that i followed all other instructions really well. turns out, i had a very valid (in the mind of a 5 year old) reason - the boy i had a crush on got to put his tub on a higher shelf and i wanted to put mine next to his so i could talk to him at the start and end of class every day! sometimes there's a method to the mayhem. :)