Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A House for Four?

I bought my house just over a year ago. Although I went through quite the struggle to finally close on my house, I wouldn't trade it for the world and I still really love my house. I love the neighborhood, I love our neighbors, and I love the location outside of the city limits. Overall, I'd say that I am very lucky to have been able to buy in the area that I did. And for the kids and I, the house is fairly roomy. Their bedrooms are a bit on the small side, and we don't have a second living area, as I had originally hoped for in a home, but the 1600-ish square feet is sufficient for two toddlers and me.

With JM traveling so much for work, he is oftentimes able to stay with us during the week. Of course I love having him there, but it makes me realize that my house wouldn't provide enough space for a family of four! (And that's not a dig at JM's giant physique or abnormally long, dangling arms!) It's just that sometimes it would be nice to have that "retreat" away from the chaos that comes with a full house.

I have to stay in my house for at least five years because of the type of loan that I took for my house. And of course I WANT to stay in my house that long, especially since we're less than three miles from the elementary school and junior high where the kids will attend. But eventually, I want to be able to send JM to the basement to watch all the Tigers games his little heart desires. And I want to be able to send the kids to their rooms to work on their homework. And I want to be able to run away to the four-season room with my bottle glass of wine in the evenings, without anyone distracting me!

Again, I know I'm lucky to have my house! I DO love my house and I'm proud of myself for taking the plunge into home-ownership. But a girl can dream, right?!

No comments: