Monday, December 13, 2010

Just a bunch of Flynn Rider's

I took the kids to see Disney's "Tangled" this weekend. It was an adorable movie, but it got me thinking....why, in life, do we always fall for Flynn Rider's? In the movie, Flynn not only has the most handsome eyes and sexy voice (can I say that about a Disney character?!), but he's also a rugged bandit, which makes him all the more appealing! There's always been that "good-girl-falls-for-bad-boy-syndrome" going around, but what happens when it becomes a way of life for some girls? Is this something that has been driven into our precious girl minds since we were toddlers?! (Think Aladin!)
I've been single for quite some time now (not complaining AT ALL). Of course there has been the occasional suitor, but more times than not, he is a messy ball of flaws that I can't be bothered with. But I have some friends who just continuously go for the troubled-Flynns and disregard their own warnings and those of their loved ones (me). Although I've had many failed relationships, I still consider myself an expert at relationship-advice-giving! I feel that I have this ability (a gift, if you will) at seeing a person's relationship, picking out the problems (usually they have been brought to my attention, of course!), and offering SIMPLE solutions to cure them. Here's the thing...you always have options. You can keep doing things the way you've been doing them (but please stop complaining to me about them!), or you can change it! Simple. So when someone complains about his soon-to-be-ex-wife and the ridiculous debt she's racked up for him, I say "Well, you have to pay it. There's no way around it. So pay it, and thank GOD that you never have to incur one more dollar of her debt." Or when a friend complains about her husband's lack of help around the home, even though he's currently unemployed, I say to her, "Well, you have two choices. Either let the mess settle for another week and keep bitching about it, or clean it up yourself." It's simple. I'm so tired of people saying, "yeah, but it's the principle." REALLY? You're willing to live miserably for another day just to prove a point to someone? Ugh! It's ridiculous!

Yes, I know my way of solving married-people's-junk is a little pitiless and unkind, not to mention out of my realm. I compare this much to dog-owners giving me parenting advice. Annoying. So I understand if this seems harsh to you married folks. But my point is, stop crying about it and CHANGE the way you're doing things, and if you CAN'T change it, change the way you think about it! ;)

No comments: