Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Home. Sweet. Hotel.

Since I took quite a long break from blogging, I should go back in time. 2010 has been AMAZING and I can't leave out the most exciting part of my year-- buying my first home!!!
I spoke with a mortgage company (the mortgage company from HELL, by the way!), got a realtor, and started looking at homes. I guess I never TRULY thought I'd buy a home, but I kept pushing through. I looked at probably twelve to fifteen homes before finding "my" house! Although my house didn't have the requirements that I thought were most important to me (fenced-in backyard and a 4th bedroom/second living area), the house fit the main requirements for the kids and me. I saw potential in the house, for sure.
From the time I put the offer on the home, May 20th, until the day I closed on the house, July 26th, things were less than perfect for me and the kids! At the end of June, the kids and I moved out of the home we had been renting. When my offer was accepted, the mortgage company assured me that we would be into the new home at the beginning of July. Clearly one thing after another caused us to be "homeless" for almost an entire month. We literally stayed for three weeks at the Hyatt Place (thanks to my DEAR FRIEND, CLIFF..who donated a TON of his points so we wouldn't have to pay for the hotel). The mortgage company ended up paying for a week and a half of the hotel, after trying to put us up at horrific hotels (Marriott, Comfort Suites). In the end, my complaining prevailed and we ended up back at the Hyatt Place!!

We ate meals on the couch, slept together in one bed, fought about who got to sleep on which side, etc. My crazy phobias were out in full force. I panicked about the kids touching the couch, I was grossed out when they walked on the carpet without shoes, I dry-heaved when Anderson touched the toilet with his bare little hands. Even though the Hyatt Place was beyond nice, I couldn't help but be a little crazy during those three weeks.
My anxiety, which I had never experienced to this magnitude, was causing me to have migraines. I was always upset, fighting with the mortgage company, and just questioning if this was all a sign that I wasn't supposed to get my house. My stress level got so out of control that I spent the better half of a workday in the ER, with stroke-like symptoms. It was TERRIBLE, to say the least.
Everyone kept telling me that once I got into my new house, I would forget all this bad stuff. Truth is, I haven't forgotten one detail of those three weeks...but I'd go through it all again if it meant having my own home in the end. I LOVE my house and I LOVE that it's all MINE!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

congradulations on acheiving your goals w/ the house, ...and your HOME. i'm going to reconsider my love affair w/ my 5 star hotel from this week in Indianapolis!.. Touche

adam said...

i'm so happy for you three! your house is beautiful and perfect for you! i remember those weeks that you were stuck in hotels and how miserable you were. i told you that you'd forget all about it once you were in your home.

ps. marriott's are not bad hotels!