Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Lilly, my future little _____.

Yesterday was my first parent-teacher conference with Lilly's teacher. I was a little nervous because poor Lills had had some behavior issues during the first nine weeks, and I was worried the teacher would call me out on my poor parenting. I imagined it much like a firing range-- that the teacher, principal, and a guidance counselor would put me in front of the black board and just point fingers at my lack of follow-through, my poor song-selection in the car (seriously, Ke$ha? Britney?), my awful food habits at my family's dining table, etc. You get my point. Truth is, the classroom didn't even have a black board, the principal and the guidance counselor were no where in sight (LOL!), and Lilly's teacher and I found that we actually have a lot of the same parenting guidelines. Shew!

Lilly tested above average in both reading and writing. She scored a little below the national average for math. When I was telling JM about the "results" of her beginning-of-the-year testing, he simply replied "eh, so she won't be an accountant, big deal!" Which got us laughing and wondering if our parents said the same thing after our first parent-teacher conferences! Does what we learn about our child's educational abilities really set the tone for the rest of their life? Did I really want to be a teacher when I was growing up? Or did my mom just think I was comfortable with and good at bossing people around (which I did a lot of!)? Regardless, we have high hopes for our little lady! I'm sure she'll make a great career path...in twenty years from now!

No comments: