Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Best Present

Before I met Charlie, I never imagined that I would find someone who would truly love and adore my kids enough. I have very high expectations, especially when it comes to loving my kids, and it just never occurred to me that someone could actually live up to those expectations. Of course I realized very early on (read: the first night) that Charlie was absolutely amazing and would be a WONDERFUL boyfriend, but I never imagined in my wildest dreams that he would be such a loving dad to my kids. Everything in my relationship with Charlie moved extremely quickly (engaged after just three months, married four months after that), even meeting my kids. I had a very strict six-month rule. I would never bring someone that I was dating around my kids until I was "sure" about him. I can honestly say that only one other man besides their dad ever met my kids. Obviously, something about Charlie made me want to break my six-month rule. The first time Charlie spent time with my kids, it was when we took Anderson to a hockey game for his fifth birthday. I sit here reflecting on that night because my baby Anderson turns six tomorrow. It's incredible to think back to last year. I was so nervous about taking Charlie on this little outing with Anderson, but at the same time, I knew Anderson wouldn't want to just go with boring ole' mom. Little did I know Anderson would be Charlie's little buddy and I would hold a little less special place in his teeny tiny heart. Flash forward to this Christmas....

You know how your kids always make cute little gifts at school around the holidays? It's always an ornament with their little face plastered on a popsicle stick or a piece of foam shaped in the shape of a star. Regardless, I was looking forward to this present this year...but it never came! Instead, I walked in the door one evening and noticed a box under the tree that read To: Charlie From: Anderson  Thinking that my present MUST be under the tree somewhere too, I started digging around only to discover that there was no present for me. I asked Charlie about the gift from Anderson and he just laughed, "I don't know babe! He didn't mention one for you." Ummm, WHAT? My thoughts went a little something like "EXCUSE ME? I BIRTHED YOU, SON!" So I did what any normal mom would do. I ripped open the taped box, (carefully of course) to see what my son made for Charlie. And that's when it happened....Full. On. Meltdown. It was one of those ugly cries, desperate for some empathy from my husband, crushed that surely this mean my son loves me less.

So there we are, Christmas morning. THE gift comes out. I see Anderson run to Charlie to give him the taped box. I sense Charlie looking at me from the corner of his eyes, a slight grin on his face. I rolled my eyes and watched two of my favorite men sitting close, opening this box. And it hit me...this love is exactly what I wanted. This was the relationship I had prayed for, even long before I met Charlie. And in only one year, the two most important boys in my life were buddies. I couldn't have asked for a better present.


1 comment:

Shannon said...

Omgoodness...I just cried my eyes out!