Sunday, December 29, 2013

2014

This year was the second time I put my blog link on our family Christmas cards. In the past, it was a great way for out-of-town family to keep connected. This year, my intention is to be much more family-focused and less Gretchen-focused on my blog (don't worry peeps, I promise not to write about every little milestone my kids cross...although Anderson is about to lose his first tooth and I'd be lying to say I'm not a wee bit sad about the enormity of this. So don't be too disappointed to read about the loss of my baby's lateral incisor. You've been warned.) This blog never started out with a greater purpose. It was simply me putting down my day-to-day journey through my un-directed life. Now I realize how much more there is to this life and I don't want to miss anything about it. As with every year, my goal is to document more. More of our marriage. More of my kids' growth. More of our family joys. More of our real (messy) life. Oh I absolutely love our life.  If ya'll don't mind, I'd like to write a quick note to each member of my little family and let them know what they've meant to me over the past year and where I hope we'll all go in the coming months...

Lilly, 
You are my absolute true joy. You are so much like me, good and bad, that it sometimes scares me. I've seen you grow so much over the past year. You've accepted the changes that have been thrown your way this year with mostly grace. I feared so much at what my marriage may have done to your growing mind and changing heart. I worried that you would feel unneeded, unloved, confused, or even angry. I've not seen these things in your behaviors, and if I'm being completely honest I'm a little shocked. I'm not sure I could handle these changes at such a confusing young age. I'm proud of you. And thank you for all you've done for our family over the past year. You continue to be my very best friend...I wish it would stay that way forever! You're a very pretty little girl! You change before my eyes daily. I've watched you become quite the little writer this year, even starting your own blog and writing in many different journals. You are so incredibly helpful with your brother, especially at school and with the bus (Bus 2 Bubbs!) I love seeing your beautiful soul. My hope for this coming year is that you continue to write, that you continue sharing your heart with people around you. My hope is that you'll come to me and Charlie with any problems or concerns that you have and that you always know that your heart is safe with us. And most of all,  I hope you and your brother get along better this year! Hehehe!

Anderson, 
My little gem. I've watched you grow so much this year into the little boy who now touches frogs, dreams of owning an ATV, and has a very good man in his life to mimic. I apologize for the things I made you miss out on in the past...but I never really liked frogs or slimy things! I'm grateful that you have Charlie for those things now! hehehe! I'm proud of your educational milestones. You're a smart little man and I'm SO proud of you for that. You are so goofy, and though sometimes we have to muffle it a bit, my hope is that you'll never lose that personality. You pick up on things so quickly and you can build a Lego set like it's nobody's business! Holy cow! It's super awesome! My hope for you over the next twelve months is that you continue learning every single day. That you use your silly behavior for good. That you continue loving me like every son should love his mommy. I pray that you appreciate the things we have in life. I hope you discover more and more "manly" things with Charlie, and most of all I hope and pray that you don't break a bone doing something crazy! (and stop telling me I'm afraid of everything. Trampolines ARE dangerous and you're NOT getting a bike with shocks this year so stop asking!)

Charlie, 
My one true love. This past year has been incredible, emotional, overwhelming, romantic, special, and even hard. You continue to stick with me, support me, and love me. You are as patient as one man can possibly be. You have given up your house, your dogs, and everything you've known for the past 31 years, all to move here with us. You have gone from a single, simple man to a husband and a father of two crazy babies.  I have learned so much from you. Your faith. Your patience. Your behavior. You have shown me what true love means and you've made me feel safe and protected. My hope for you over the next year is that you'll continue growing in our marriage. I hope that you'll continue to lead our family in a way that is Christ-honoring. I hope that you never stop learning, never stop studying me, never stop growing in your faith. I pray that you continue to learn what your role is as a father to Lilly and Anderson, and the enormity that it is. I pray that God blesses our family, our marriage, and these kids in ways we never imagined. 


Happy New Year's, all.

No comments: