Monday, December 17, 2012

Naked

I mentioned in a recent post about how vulnerable I felt after witnessing a horrible fire and how scared I was that I wouldn't be "enough" to keep my kids safe. I have thought about this many more times over the past week and I've come to the conclusion that this incident has changed me. Something in my heart has been changed.
With the most recent events in Newtown, CT it has once again been on the forefront of my mind. The truth is, I'm not enough. While I trust that I was chosen by God to be Lilly and Anderson's mom, He is still their Father. He's still the one in control of our fate. He is still the one we should be looking to for guidance and love and understanding. He's the one who holds us and protects us. I can't do this on my own- I'm not meant to do it on my own.
With this realization comes a freedom, a nakedness. I feel like I can only do so much before things are out of my hands. I feel like the best thing I can do is pray for protection. Pray for forgiveness. Pray for love. Pray for freedom from worry. God loves us. He wants the best for us. He has promised this to us over and over. Psalm 56:3 says "When I am afraid, I put my trust in You"  We are called to put our faith in Christ. We are meant to lean on Him and not on our own understandings. We aren't meant to go through life alone. We are meant to do life with other people- with people who will be there for us and pray over us. We are meant to do life with people who will hold us up when we're scared, people who will fill that gap when we're failing, people who will protect us and hold us and watch over us. What a freeing realization, no?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. Yes, it IS a freeing realization!

JW