Sunday, September 23, 2012

47%, huh?



I don't ever write about politics. And this isn't necessarily about politics either, but rather about my personal ties to this comment. I don't pretend to know about politics. I don't pretend to CARE about politics. I know what I know, and I care about what's important to me and my family.

Mitt Romney makes the comment that 47% of Americans are dependent upon the government, who see themselves as victims. He suggests that these are people he'll never be able to convince to take personal responsibility or to care for their own lives. Luckily, he's not worried about "those" people.

Unfortunately, I was one of "those" people. I remember when Aaron first left for MN. I had no job, an $850/month rental house, two kids, a car payment, among many other day to day expenses. Two weeks after Aaron left I interviewed for the company where, three years later, I am still employed. With that said, there was a time that things were hard. Very hard. I remember calling my friend Rachael, telling her that there was no way I was going to be able to pay rent. There was no way I was going to be able to pay any of my bills for that matter. And I was freaking out about how I was even going to afford groceries. It was then that she told me to call the Township for help with rent, and to call and talk to someone about getting food stamps and any other assistance that I might need. I sat on my porch and cried like a baby. I was not one of "those" people. How embarrassing. And all I remember her telling me was "you do what you have to do when it comes to taking care of your kids Gretchen." Gulp.

Making the call to the township a few days later was probably one of the most humbling experiences of my life. I made an appointment with a lady named Barbara. I'll never forget her. I met with her a few weeks later and had to explain my situation. How do you tell someone that your life fell apart in front of your eyes and you were too naive to stop it? To make a long story short, the Aboite Township paid a portion of my $850 rent for two different months. It was helpful, but humbling.
I remember making the appointment with the Family and Social Services Administration (FSSA). I remember taking my kids downtown to the "welfare office" to find out about getting help. I was mortified, but I had no other choice. We got food stamps for a  few months until I was working and making a little money. I remember one time going into the grocery store on Scott Rd. and when I paid with the food stamp card, the lady said (VERY LOUDLY), "Oh, I didn't realize that was a food stamp card. You don't look like the type. You'll have to swipe it again."  I wanted to die. Seriously. The most embarrassing moment of my life.

So once I was working for a few months and could finally afford rent, groceries, and everything else on my own I was able to stop using government assistance. With pleasure.

But then there was still the issue of daycare. At that time I had applied for CANI, which would help pay for daycare expenses. Of course I qualified for it, as I was bringing home only $1600 a month at that time! A couple years, two promotions (and raises) later,  I came to the point where I no longer qualified for any kind of daycare assistance at all. I went from paying $90/week to paying $278/week for daycare.

My point is, never during that time did I feel entitled to that assistance. Never did I think of making a living from it. Never did I enjoy being on it. It was mortifying. It was humbling. It is not something I ever want to relive. But I did what I had to do during those seasons of my life, to be able to care of my kids on my own. It scares me to think that some single moms in the future may not have that option. It worries me to think that other people will struggle and never have anyone to help them.

Of course there are people who abuse the system. I get that. And like I said, I don't intend for this to turn into a political platform. But it worries me to think that we may elect a person who isn't concerned for nearly half of the country. It saddens me to think that there may be families who aren't granted these things during tough times in their life. All I can do is speak from personal experience and say that there is nothing in the world more humbling than having to ask for help. But to think that someone views me as one of "those" people because I went through a tough time makes me sick. In fact, I feel like I'm the exact example of someone who used this assistance as it is intended to be used. I needed a little help until I could get back on my feet.

I thought carefully about putting my business out here for ya'll to read, but I guess it matters enough to me to do it. It matters to me that people know that even "regular" people go through some tough times. When we have a presidential candidate openly shunning "those" people, it worries me. It makes me want to stand up and say "wait a second, it could be any one of us." We need to be very careful of everything that we're voting for in a couple months, young and old, this affects us.

4 comments:

Amanda: said...

I agree - 100% - with everything you said. I've been there too - my kid had cancer and Rick had to quit working to stay with him at the hospital. I kept working, but my job was only part time, and I only brought in $240.00 a week (before taxes!!). How in the WORLD would we have done it without help??? There will always be people who abuse the system, but there will also always be people who don't, too. Makes me nervous that those people might not have access to the help they need.

Anonymous said...

The point Romney was making is that there is a percentage of Americans (maybe 47% is too high of estimate, maybe not) who do use the system like you did, but they have NO intention of leaving it! The whole point of the welfare system is to help somebody when they get in trouble. You should be the poster girl for the system, because you used it EXACTLY the way it was designed to be used. You got the help you needed until you were able to do it on your own, and then have moved on. You can listen to the media attack Romney for his words, but the fact remains that entitlements and welfare have grown dramatically in the past 4 years, which is exactly what some people in the government wants. After all, if you knew that the ONLY way to live the rest of your life was on government dependence, wouldn't you always vote for the party who claims that prize?

Lil Kegger said...

Gretchen, you have no idea what this post meant to me! Recently I was laid off work due to a workforce reduction, so to no fault of my own I found myself without work! I am 26 weeks pregnant, running out and getting another job just like that is just not an option. I, like you, sat around bawling at the idea that I was one of "those" people! And you are right it is very humbling! Even with my support system, and the fact that I JUST bought a house and have a kid on the way, I needed additional help (more so the health coverage). I hate that people like the two of us beat ourselves up over using the government assistance when in fact it was designed for individuals like ourselves. I hate that the people that abuse the system and rely on it versus doing the "right thing" leave people like the two of us feeling guilty about accepting the assistance as it was designed for. I would love to run out and get another job thus not collect unemployment and or have to rely on Medicaid for Pregnant women...too bad I am pregnant, and no employer wants to no more than get me trained before I have to take maternity leave?!?! I am still applying and have had a couple really great phone interviews but the reality is that I will most likely not get a job now until Feb/March all because I was laid off due to work for reduction. (PS Who lays off a pregnant lady????) I have always been someone who has paid into these government programs, now I am in a position when I now have to be humble and accept the assistance. If only I could find a way to do it and not feel guilty, "trashy", ashamed, or any other negative term about it.

Anonymous said...

If you watch the clip again, and truly listen to the structure of it, he's saying he wont worry about convincing those of the 47% to vote for him. I can't believe how many intelligent Americans have misheard him as saying he wouldn't take care of those people if he were elected. Watch it again and you'll hear it differently. -Jillian S.