Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Not-So-Obvious, obviously.

I've compiled a list of things that seem obvious to others, but not to me. These are things that I need to learn, so if anyone has the answers, please comment and let me know.

1) How to pump air into my tires at a gas station. Last weekend Mom was in town, and just as we were leaving for our weekly shopping extravaganza, I noticed my rear tire was slightly low. I looked at mom, thinking she'd surely know how to put air into a tire...she did not. Whoops. After calling two different people, at 9:30 on a Saturday morning, and getting no response, I surrendered and called Don Ayres Honda to see if they could fit me in for a quick look at my leaking tire. And come to find out, there actually was a small hole in my tire, which would have needed patched, even if I did know how to put air into my tire. For future reference though, I should know how to put air into my tire.

2) What time zone do I live in? I'm trying to arrange a time with my group for my online class so that we can "meet" in our designated chat room, but I don't know what time zone I'm in and many of them live in other states. At the risk of looking like a total moron, I have just not responded, hoping to find out before I need to post something in our group discussion again. This may be a ridiculous thing, but for whatever reason, I don't know. In my defense however, I've never had to worry about time zones because I've never had to change times until the past few years. Ugh, whatever the reason, just tell me what time zone I live in please!

3) How to delete a contact, for good, from my phone? Damn iPhone. Why must you save a number in eighteen different locations, only to taunt me with the number I've been trying to forget. After deleting the contact information, with the exception of the email address (hey, I might need to contact this person at SOME point, right! LOL!) I later found the number, without the name though, in my "favorites" section, and again in the voicemail. WHY iPhone WHY!? Let me forget this damn number!!!

4) How to make pork chops, without the grill. Or even furthermore, how to use my grill. Before Aaron left (insert eye roll) he bought tons of meat. I have no clue how to even turn on my grill, let alone use it and cook something on it. And while that's not really an issue now, as I have no plans of stepping into the foot of snow on my back patio to actually get to the grill, I still have this meat that I'd like to be able to use. I have tried baking grilled chicken in the oven, and while my mom swears by it, I just can't seem to get it to taste good. It always comes out tasting dry and turkey-ish. I love pork chops, so I need to know an EASY, fool-proof way of cooking them inside.

At this point in my blog I'd like to give special thanks to those of you who have taught me life-lessons in the past months.
Sally: Thank you for teaching me how to use my four-wheel drive...even if it meant you actually coming out to my truck to turn it on, or me calling you on a Friday evening at home! LOL! Who knew it was as simple as the push of a button!
Shannon: Thank you for teaching my how to start (and use) my lawn mower; I actually look forward to the coming months when I'll be able to use it again!
Adam (and sometimes Andrea): Thank you for your step-by-step directions to opening a bottle of wine, and oftentimes retrieving the pieces of cork from the bottle. (Just keep drinking!)I've now perfected the art of opening a bottle of wine.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Can I just tell you how much I love you Gretchy!! lol This post makes me giggle.

Pork chops. Put them in a 9x13 glass pan and put bbq sauce over them and cook them. Do you have a crock pot? you can put them in the crock pot with bbq in the morning when you leave on LOW and they will be ready when you get home at night.

Hope that helps!! :)

Courtney said...

Hey gretch! Have you tried shaken bake with your pork chops, its good with chicken. Sorry thats the only one i can help on!

teresa-bug said...

I suck at making pork chops b/c I always cook them too long. My advise is not to cook them too long. I obviously don't take my own advice, though.

Anonymous said...

FOODNETWORK.COM for all your recipe needs!
Putting air in your tires: It is soooo easy. You just have to LISTEN! You can tell the difference in the sound as to whether or not the air is going in. If you hear a sound that sounds like air is leaking out of your tire...that means you need to just PUSH HARDER. Once you push harder that sound should change from a leaking sound to a slight hummmm of air. That means air is going into your tire. :) Make sure you carry a tire gague with you. They are cheep. You need to check the pressure which all you do is put the gage on there and push down one time. It will pop out. Check your user manual for the amount of pressure your tires should have. If it reads UNDER, put more air in. If it reads OVER let some air out, push till you hear the leaking noise! :) It takes some practice, but it is really simple once you get the hang of it!