Thursday, July 2, 2009

Reference Checks

I finally got word that Ross Edu was checking my references. Relieved that they were actually calling to find out what wonderful words my chosen references would reveal about me, I got to thinking...I've got some pretty amazing people in my life who would go to bat for me in just about every aspect of my being. The people I chose to use as lifelines were not only previous supervisors (Rachael and Dick), but also two friends (Heather and Frank) whom I knew would represent me well. After all my references had been called, each person called me to relay their kind words about me. I hung up from each and every phone conversation (or voicemail, Heather!) knowing that I have built incredible friendships with people who are not necessarily in my age group (Dick and Frank), with people who's views differ from mine on many levels (Heather!), and people who I've had rough patches with in the past (Rach!)...with all that said I'm confident that I have made an impact on each person's life to the point where they'd take time from their busy evening to help promote me as a worthwhile individual and as an asset to a company.
Sometimes our own self-destructive thoughts get in the way of what our potential really is. We get caught up in creating our own definition of ourselves, failing to take the time to notice how others see us, that we limit ourselves and stunt our personal growth. So today, I vow (and hope you will too) to get out of my own way. By focusing on the good in myself, I can start to lose the self-deprecating attitude and beliefs and start seeing myself as others see me.

I read today, "Do not look where you fell, but where you slipped."

No comments: