Sunday, July 5, 2009

Many of my close friends from high school will remember a dear friend of mine from ten years ago. I met Chris at Catholic Heart Work Camp, in New Orleans, the summer before my senior year of high school. I'm not sure the exact details of how we started talking, but it was silly high school flirting. I'm sure it went something along the lines of my friends going to talk to him and his friends and then relaying messages back and forth through our friends. During the short church trip, he and I and became good friend with intentions of staying in touch even when he went back home to Carlinville, IL and I was back in Wabash. We exchanged phone numbers and addresses, thinking we were going to forever be friends!
My youth group and I got back to Wabash on July 3rd, or sometime around there. Chris and I talked a couple times. Finally on July 5th I got a call from his friend, telling me that Chris had been in a terrible diving accident and was in the hospital with little chance of ever walking again. I called my dad begging him to drive me to Carlinville, IL to see Chris! Thinking that I was probably nuts, Jere' offered to take me. We made the LONG trip to the Illinois hospital where Chris was staying. I met his family and many members from his church. I don't remember much of our visit, other than being completely depressed when I had to leave his bedside.
I recieved many different cards from members of Chris's family and also a card from his pastor telling me how delighted he was that I could visit Chris. I still have those cards. Then one day I got a letter from Chris. As part of his rehab he had to practice writing, so he wrote to me. Again, I still have that letter.
Weeks (maybe months) passed. Chris was walking, and from what I can recall, was recovering well. He came to Wabash the summer after my senior year to meet my friends (who also helped me make a home video for Chris, showing him around Wabash, etc!..so cheesy!) and we had a great time seeing each other again. Of course we promised to stay in touch, but haven't been able to REALLY talk much since we're both at such different places in our lives, but we have recently reconnected through Facebook.
Today I got a text from Chris telling me that he appreciates me being a part of his life during that tough time (I'm sure it was a text sent to many other people as well), and for the love and support I gave him. To think that ten years ago, God was working through me to help someone else is incredible. I think of all the miracles in life that I have been witness to, and I can't help but be very touched and feel extremely blessed.

No comments: