Monday, August 12, 2013

Monday, Aug 12th...the beginning.

In a couple hours I'll be in a court room listening to a judge tell me what's best for my kids. Aaron started this court process about three months ago, after four years of he and I working together when deciding visitation and child support. When I announced that I was going to be getting married, Aaron filed paperwork to get things set up through the courts. I'm not at all upset that we're making things legal, it's definitely time. But the way he went about it and the way he has treated both me and the kids since filing is not something that's easy to overlook.
He gave up the four weeks of visitation for the summer, stopped paying child support, and has only called the kids a few times in the past three months or more. To say that he has done a total 180 would be the only way to accurately describe his actions.
With that all said, it's frustrating (and gut-wrenching) to know that someone who doesn't know my kids will be determining what's "best" for them. Aaron is asking that the kids spend seven weeks of their summer break with him in Minnesota, as well as half of Christmas break and all of spring break. There are a thousand reasons why this is a terrible idea. He is also asking to pay significantly less in child support.
I know this decision is out of my hands at this point (it always has been, huh?). I trust that God has His hand on the situation and I know that whatever the outcome, it will be just as it was meant to be.  I know that I only have to be honest because I have nothing to hide. My kids are my motive behind every decision that I make. I do things the "right" way and I don't try to weasel my way through life's complicated situations.

“If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don’t you think he’ll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I’m trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God’s giving. People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don’t worry about missing out. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met." Matthew 6: 31-33 MSG

If it's not too much trouble, I'm asking for prayers in this situation. Pray that God will have His hand on the attorneys and the judge today. Pray for me to have the strength to handle whatever the outcome is. Pray that God would open Aaron's heart and mind to help him do the right thing. Pray that my kids come out of this situation unchanged and unaffected by any negativity that has occurred. Pray that they know and feel the love that so many people have for them.


....to be continued


No comments: