Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July 2017

Have you ever written a five year plan? Neither had I. I mean sure I used to write in my diary when I was thirteen and dream about who would be in my wedding when I married Jeremy Martin (!), but those days have since passed and here I was, without a plan. Talking about doing something, and actually holding yourself accountable for those things are completely different. I've been making these grand plans in my mind for years, constantly changing them depending on my mood that day!

Last week I had a day off (I swear it was my last PTO day for the fiscal year!!!), and I spent nearly four and a half hours creating a five year plan. It was way harder than I thought it was going to be! When I first talked to my old worship pastor about it, I was thinking that I'd just create a quick Excel spreadsheet to include all the things I wanted to do and how I was going to get there. Two problems with that...I hate excel and I had no clue where to start.  So I did what I do best...I wrote about it! I found a new notebook, my favorite purple Sharpie pen, ordered a giant green tea from Starbucks, and sat outside and started writing. I had no idea that my first hurdle would be to plan a way of eliminating all debt. As someone who HAAAATES the word "budget" and haaaaates even more the budgeting-lifestyle, I knew that in order to get to my final goals, I was going to have to make some major changes!

I suppose my main goal is to move out of Fort Wayne. Ever since I visited my brother in Charlotte, NC...many years ago...I've always wanted to live in the South. With my company constantly opening new campuses in different states, I am keeping my fingers crossed that within the next five years, I can transfer to a new campus in either the Carolina's, Tennessee, or another southern state. Some people know they are destined for the "big city" life, but me...I know that me and the kids are southern-state-of-mind folks. I've always been attracted to ways of the South, and I honestly feel like we are meant to be there. People even ask me sometimes where my accent is from! They're always so disappointed when I tell them Wabash, Indiana! LOL!

Five years is a long time from now, I realize that. So much can happen within the next five years. Maybe I won't even be working for the same company anymore (hopefully that's not the case). Or maybe I'll be married within the next five years (hopefully that's not the case!!). Or maybe something else will prevent me from moving to a different state. All I know is that right now, I am working toward something. For the first time, since I was thirteen at least, I took the time to write down my goals. I set deadlines for myself and I set short-term goals along the way. I have shown my five year plan to only one person, but I am confident that he will hold me accountable for these mini-milestones along the way. Writing these plans out, and determining steps to get to these goals was emotionally draining. If you had asked me twelve months ago what my five year plan was, it sure as heck would have looked a lot different. But things are what they are. We just have to figure out ways to roll with it. I'm so incredibly grateful to be where I am and to be surrounded by so many blessings. I'd be a fool to focus on what I don't have or worry about where I'm not at. 


It is what it is and I'm so ready to move forward. Here's to July 2017!! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How's this going for you?

JW