Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Calming, Simple, Lovely, Gentle Man

Do you ever find yourself driving alone and something just takes you back to an old memory? I had the day off today and trust me I took COMPLETE advantage of the alone time, but something about the day made me reflect on last summer.
Last summer was one of those story-book-perfect summers. JM and I were still new in our relationship, and it was some of the first months that we spent as a "family" (he and I and the kids). I remember sitting back, watching him with the kids and just thinking that I must be the luckiest girl in the universe, because no one gets a man like this. He was so perfect with them, made me feel like a queen, and had this overall calming effect on everyone around him. This is something that six months post-breakup I miss terribly.
I thought back to last Labor Day at the lake with his family. It was the first time I was meeting his aunts, uncles, cousins, etc...(I think I already wrote about that last year!), but I remember something from that day that sticks with me to this day and something that I will forever use as a gauge in future relationships (bleh). JM and I had gone into town to buy ice cream for everyone. As we pulled out of the driveway at the lake house, I looked over at this man, this perfectly simple, lovely, gentle man, and I thought to myself that I had finally found "it"...I had never felt like this before and for some crazy reason I just started crying (behind sunglasses!). I remember texting my mom and telling her what I was feeling. I told her that his family was perfect and that I could just cry because I was so happy and in love.
Although JM and I aren't together, I will forever remember that feeling of being so overwhelmingly in love. It was the best feeling in the world and something that I don't know if I will ever be able to replicate with someone else.
I know that love stories and romantic movies are the curse to real-life relationships, but I can't help but (not so secretly) believe that they do exist. I feel like I truly lived one before, and I have to trust that things are just as they are supposed to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're an amazing artist. You paint a beautiful picture.

JW