Saturday, April 21, 2007

Reality of Today's World...scary

I spent Friday night with my family back home and it was there that I realized that I have some hard ass family members who, in my opinion, lack a heart! My lovely Uncle Phil is the TOUGHEST critic you'll ever meet in your lifetime. He loves his family, but beyond that, don't expect a loving embrace!
We somehow got on the topic of the recent events at Virginia Tech. Sure, I'm female and perhaps as a mother I have sympathetic feelings that some men may not understand...I say this only because I've recently heard Aaron complain about the constant coverage of the Virginia Tech massacre on MSNBC and Headline News, but SOMEWHERE in your being you HAVE to have compassion for these people and the friends and family of those who have lost someone in this tragedy.
My uncle, however, is not one of these people. He can't understand why the Kalamazoo campus is holding prayer vigils....or why people in California, Michigan, New Hampshire, Indiana, etc are upset about this horrific event. My response to him was, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" I kept asking him "what if it was YOUR child who got hurt," or "what if it was the campus where YOUR child attended?"...."Would you care THEN?"....And of course he said he would, but I guess it just got me thinking.....What have I done? Why would I bring a child into THIS world? Into THIS mess? Into THIS chaos? What right do I have to bring an innocent, unharmed human being into THIS kind of life and tragedy?
It doesn't matter WHAT Aaron or I do to TRY to protect our daughter for what is the reality of this world....danger is EVERYWHERE. It's in the small rural areas, it's in the large metropolis areas, it's EVERYWHERE. There is NO safe place anymore. And it's so sad to admit that, but it's so true.
Do I plan on smothering my daughter and holding her hostage in my house, of course not. But it DOES make me think twice about allowing her to do the simple things that I, as a young child, was allowed to do. Sure, I have plenty of time to worry about her growing into a teenager and such, but I think back to how things were even four years ago and wonder what the next four or eight years hold for this world. It's a scary scary thought...but again...this is the reality of today's world.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I think about this everyday. I sometimes wonder what have i done bringing Addi into this world. After the Virginia Tech massacre I actually asked Dave if we could home school Addi. I know this is silly but with all of the school shootings. But like you said you can't keep them locked up. They need to face there own pain so that one day they can sit and worry about there own babies.